• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Not knowing what to like doing in lfie

law12345

Bluelighter
need some new ventures to sink my time, passion and energies into but a bot lost for cause or jaded is another way to look at it,

same goes for my career too which hasn't even taken off yet,

anyone else been in this situation...

i was thinking kayaking or a martial art or some language lessons

^^ All 3 of those suggestions are brilliant. Exercising your body and/or your mind are great benefits of a new hobby.

To be honest the only one who can really answer your question is you mate. Give a few things a try and see what you like best.

Good luck, and have fun! :)

need some new ventures to sink my time, passion and energies into but a bot lost for cause or jaded is another way to look at it,

same goes for my career too which hasn't even taken off yet,

anyone else been in this situation...

i was thinking kayaking or a martial art or some language lessons

In my experience a martial art (more along the lines of something combative like thai boxing, boxing, or bjj where you get to spar) can really turn things around. Its a skill that you work on long term - and as you progress it does great things for your mind and body.

I've picked up a few hobbies - nothing as active as martial arts, and perhaps a bit weird, but they're things to fill the time that don't involve getting mashed and watching TV in a coma-like state (although that can be fun in moderation too).

I taught myself how to knit (I'm a guy by the way - knitting is in this season). Socks mostly. They make great gifts. Plus chicks digs guys who knit (seriously, I've sweet-talked more than one girl into bed by sharing my passion for knitting - strange but true).

I write a blog. I like creative writing so I just started writing and it turned out to be a lot of fun. It has some readers and isn't doing too bad.

I also go to the gym and lift weights; I have a pretty small frame but I'm making progress. I'm currently going through a winter slump, but when I go I feel a lot healthier and better about myself.

Just pick something that sounds interesting and run with it. It doesn't have to be anything super-crazy or traditional, just do something :)

just be

simply be

you dont have to accomplish anything more than total harmonization with your environment. simply be, enjoying each individual moment of life as good as any other. anything material you "achieve" beyond this dies with you, so all you have in life is how you help others and how you spend each of your days fully present in each moment.

i fully support your consideration of the martial arts.

some briliant ideas have been posted..... and i agree with them all :)

i feel you on the career topic, sometimes you just need to know that its all gona work out, that can be quite hard esp when in the mix of other problems.

as stated above you should definately look into a psychical exercise your idea on martial arts is briliant, im a black belt in taekwondo and have been training for over 6 years, recently on a break to build up the body a little bit, but this can teach you so much as well as make you feel great.
ive recently taken up meditation also, this here can help clear your mind and help you have a clearer path on tackeling your issues one at a time
:)

I'm in full agreement with exercise. Also, a healthy diet FULL of greens, fruits, legumes, and grains (if you can tolerate them) is essential. The more raw and unprocessed the better.

IMO everything else will flow from that :)

i am too currently facing this dilemma, what to do to feel passionate about, other than heroin.

I used to wonder what would ever become of me (as did my family), and I'm now a happy, well-adjusted and employed member of society with a Bachelor's degree and long-term relationship.

I think the key is planning, setting short- and long-term goals. What are you good at? Surely you've been complimented on a particular trait or talent before, so start from there. What do you like to do? Where do you want to be in 5 years, and what steps are needed to get there?

In any case, doing something is usually better than doing nothing. Sounds like u have a few leads, so run with them. If they turn out to be dead ends, try something else. Take time to get to know yourself and your strengths/hobbies/interests apart from society's expectations first and the rest will follow.

just be

simply be

you dont have to accomplish anything more than total harmonization with your environment. simply be, enjoying each individual moment of life as good as any other. anything material you "achieve" beyond this dies with you, so all you have in life is how you help others and how you spend each of your days fully present in each moment.

i fully support your consideration of the martial arts.

True enough. But of course you could always view the intake of each breath as victory of impending death, the success of the self over the non-self (gleaned from Israel Regardie :))

I think everyone has to find their own hobby that "clicks" with them, whether it is to just "be" or to do whatever. I personally love to read and improve myself as much as possible (if that isn't to stuck up to say ha)